Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The End of Suburbia



The end of suburbia is obviously coming due to many factors in our world.  One being the highways replacing the country land.  Back in the day many people wanted to move away from farm/country land and move into the “city” life.  Now people want to move away from city life but they don’t want to be in country life they want a mix of both… what our society has named “suburbia,” a mixture of the two.  The only problem is the people living in suburbia are still experiencing negatives of both worlds now actually, for example, they are driving extensive lengths to get to work or stores or whatever like in country life yet they are still closely living next to their neighbors, they are still in close proximities to a local store or food chain.

Another reason is in relation to the 2003 black out.  That was a huge ordeal, millions of people lost power, but the thing about it is that it was not due to a fluke in the system or a break in anything, it was really due to the American people were using clearly too much energy at one time and the system couldn’t take it so it simply shut down.  You would think that once society realized that was the reason they would change their way of life however they more just thought of it as a situation where they could get angry with the government and the power companies or what not.  They didn’t change their way of living or their way of thinking for that matter.  If people continue to live as if the world supply of things is never ending then it is bound to run out.

My reaction to this film is that people are crazy… the world is crazy…. Its extremely surprising to me to learn about the oil and energy supply or lack thereof for that matter, I mean let’s be honest I don’t not follow things like that.  As long as I have a light that’s working in my house and gas to fill up my car to get my child to school or the play place I am content.  I would never even consider thinking of how much energy I use at my house.  But to hear what they were saying on that film was intense.  To think of the possibility that we might run out of the supplies to make my everyday life run properly is terrifying.  Even if it is not in my life time I don’t want it to be in my daughter’s life nor her daughter’s life.  I just wish that people weren’t so ridiculous and wasteful. Yet honestly I wish I knew how I could be less ridiculous and wasteful but how can I, how can they if this is all I know, all they know.

1 comment:

  1. This movie really shocked me as well. I did not even think about running out of oil. I drive far every day to get to work and school. I could not do either without oil. I have been the same way just taking advantage of the resourses we have. Just expecting the lights to come on at the flip of a switch or knowing I can go to a close gas station and but fuel in my car with out thinking about their being a shortage.

    ReplyDelete